Thursday, September 17, 2009

Water, Water, EVERYWHERE (continued...)

OK so where did I leave off? Oh yes, suspensfully is where. So here we go.

We had had a week of craziness but finally it was Friday. We had plans for the weekend we were super excited about, and it had been a week since we were out of the flood. Whew. I get to work, doing my job, la-dee-da, and then I get a call from Chad.
Our kitchen was flooded. What? Did you say flooded Cristy? Yes, yes I did. The dishwasher (BRAND NEW DISHWASHER in our BRAND NEW apartment) was broken, and had leaked water all over the kitchen. Lovely. He said it wasn't anything horrible but 'ha-ha' we are flooded again. What luck, right? oh no, that’s not even the worst part...not only had our dishwasher flooded but then our hot water heater broke and our carpet all around that was now soaking wet. Sound familiar? Oh yeah, that happened the WEEK before...


Yep. Chad was sitting in his recliner and all of a sudden heard a trickling noise. He got up to see what it was about and stepped in soggy carpet (I'm getting so sick of that...). The thing had busted and was leaking everywhere. Chad started filling up a frying pan (the only thing close to him to pick up water) and filling it up and dumping it out like a sinking boat. This is when he called me saying "You need to come home. Our apartment is flooding again" and my response was a slight laugh followed by "yeah right" followed by shock followed by anger...and on and on haha.


I leave work, half upset, half laughing at the fact that we are dealing with this again. I called my friend Lauren because we were suppose to meet for lunch, and I said "Ok I'm gonna need to cancel on lunch...our apartment is flooding again" and she had about the same reaction I did. She offered to come to our apartment and see if there was anything we could do because she was already on her way. We all met there and I just laughed. Oh this shall be a great story one day...

The maintenance guy was there fixing/draining/drying everything so we decided to go ahead and go to lunch since we hadn't eaten yet because of all the drama. We went to mellow mushroom and got to hang out with Garrett and Lauren! They were going to look at churches for their wedding (this is the one I'm going to be Married Maid of Honor in...yes, I changed the name. Matron is too old sounding) and so we discussed all their options. Lauren had sheets all organized out with times, prices, places, pro's, con's, etc. Oh the memories :) We did a few things we needed to do and then went back home ...to our apartment. Everything was back in place, or at least looked like it. It had obviously been wet-vac'd but it was STILL soaking wet. Yes. We let out a sigh, looked around at all our boxes, and then packed for our weekend away from it all.
Saturday morning we headed out to go to AUBURN! We had tickets to the first game (vs. LA Tech) and we were staying with my friend Craven at his apt there (his is NOT flooded, don’t worry). We got there and walked around with Craven for a while, went to Tiger Rags (a must...t-shirts, souveniers, etc). I got a T-Shirt because apparently if you sit in the student section, you are supposed to wear orange because of the slogan "All Auburn, All Orange" and I had on a navy Auburn shirt...of course haha. But you know me and t-shirts, I love 'em :)
We went back to Craven's and hung out until game time (actually about 2 hours BEFORE the game, but you have to go early if you want good seats). We went and it was awesome. People were everywhere, pumped up, in their all orange (thank goodness I switched. don't wanna be that girl). The game was amazing. We were yelling all the cheers just like we were true Auburn-goers. Waving our shakers in the air, spelling out A-U-B-U-R-NNNN! Fantastic. We also got to witness the longest play in AU's history. History folks, history. After the game we went back and watched the rest of the Alabama game and then went to the famous Momma Goldberg’s Deli - they've opened a few in Birmingham but there is just nothing like the good ol original. Went back to Craven's and I went to bed (party pooper, I know) and Chad and Craven and his friends stayed up a while longer. The next morning we woke up early (when can I EVER sleep in??) and headed to HOTLANTA again. We had tickets to the Braves game at one and we got there just in time to grab some quick ballpark food (woo hoo!) and take our seats. Now, we walked up to our section, and it was getting filled quickly. The tickets we had for that section were on a 'special' online so EVERYONE had been buying them. We took one look at that section on our left, took one look to the empty section to our right, and had a seat there instead. Turns out that was genius. The left section was PACKED (minus our seats) and our section stayed pretty minimal the whole time. I was even able to stretch out. Wooonderful. The game was a good game to watch, we ended up losing 4-2 but we did see 2 team members collide in outfield which was definitely a first for me. I also saw my first (live) homerun and my first extra base hit. Overall very historical as well! ha. Historical sports weekend in my life for sure.



Side note about baseball the game. I had on a tank top, and had planned on buying a braves t-shirt but couldn’t find one. Anyways I got completely burnt and was miserable sleeping that night haha. My tan line of the scooped neck tank top is hilarious.
After the game we headed to the oh-so-famous Marietta Diner. This place has been raved about by the ingenious food critic, my dad, for quite a while now. Just walking up to the place was impressive. Classic diner look to it. We walked in and got seated quick and then looked at the menu. Now, saying 'menu' doesn't even describe the magnitude of this booklet. Imagine a normal menu, one, maybe two pages, and stick 4 of those together, and that is the ONE menu here at this diner. There is every single type of food you can imagine on there. Breakfast, dinner, desserts, Greek, Italian, burgers, steaks, it goes on and on. Now, being someone who can't even decide what her favorite color is, this was a difficult task for yours truly. I finally decided on the chicken fettuccini alfredo (I really branched out...haha) and Chad got the chicken Florentine. They were both phenomenal!! Ugh...im getting hungry just thinking about it... Before we even got our entrees we got bread and spainikopita which was SO GOOD. Chad almost stole mine from me because he eats so fast and was done with his before I even ate 1/3 of mine.

After that we went to our hotel we had checked into earlier that day (that the apartment complex paid for thank-you!) and decided to rent one of the ridiculously overpriced movies. We rented 'Away We Go' because we had heard it was pretty good. If you have heard this, disregard that and only hear this- that movie was awful. Wouldn't have even been worth renting from a Red Box, let alone paying $14.95 at a hotel. Don't watch it.
Oh yeah, we did take home a piece of cake from the diner. It was called chocolate suicide. Doesn't that just make your mouth water and your heart melt all at once? And it was like 3 times the normal cake size too. No pansy cakes at Marietta Diner, no sir. It was deeelish.


Monday was the day to drive home (aww) but we were going to make a stop at Discover Mills (yay!) which is a HUGE mall with tons of stores in it. However, as we were getting ready to leave the parking lot Chad says "Ok, lets get out of the car" after squishing something on his seat. I can only say I semi-freaked at this thought. Now, I'm going to let you in on a secret if you don't already know this fact about me - I am Deathly afraid of ants. Before you make fun of me, I KNOW this is a completely irrational fear. I know. However, I just can't shake it. They absolutely creep me out. Bleh. Ok back to the story. So Chad had squished one ant, only to find a whole army of them in his truck. We spent the net 30 minutes going inside the hotel, getting a cleaning lady, spraying down the truck, and calming my nerves. I'm itching right now thinking of it...ugh.
OK! On our way to Discover Mills! We spent a few hours (yes, hours) at the mall, replacing some tennis shoes and clothes destroyed by the flood. It was a lot of fun. My hubby is such a trooper. Not only does he not complain (too much) when I'm trying on shirt after shirt after shirt after shirt, to only come out and say none of them worked, but he also is glad when I do find something I've been looking for or something that looks pretty good! AND he likes shoes :) HOORAY! The perfect man! haha It’s just nice to not feel like I'm dragging him around while I try and find something :)


Done with my lunch break again! Still have to update everyone on the WONDERFUL IKEA trip we had with the in-laws! Man I love that place! To be continued ... again ...

3 comments:

Lauren Way said...

I can't believe you didn't like "Away We Go"! Sad Day! Oh, well.
I'm glad ya'll had fun at the sporting events! I hope this is the last of the water troubles at your place of residence.

karen cavender said...

well at least you haven't lost your sense of humor in all of this! Or your ability to write about it! Yes, someday this will be a hilarious story to pass down to your kids....

Your description of the Marietta Diner made me want to go back there! Your dad will be so proud you gave him credit for it. ha. We'll have to try that chocolate cake next time! We're always so full we usually don't get dessert even though the whole dessert case looks so amazing!!

Can't wait to read about the Ikea adventure! You left us hanging again! (nice touch, though)

Maybe your life will settle down a little bit now. Hopefully. :)

Nancy said...

Whew! Thanks for the update!
Just think of all that you've gone through in your 1+ year of marriage. I love reading your writing - it's almost like a visit in person. Almost.
Aunt Nancy