Saturday, April 16, 2011

One thing I've learned as a Mom...

...is that you just can't care. What do I mean? Here is an example from today:

Today we (Ava and me) FINALLY got ready to head out to go grocery shopping at about 2. Don't judge me on that time, I slept let Ava sleep in because the past 2 nights have been miserable and basically included NO sleep. So it was worth it. Ok, so 2 PM here we go heading out the door. She was all smiles and very happy and quiet. 'This will be a good trip' i was thinking.
We get to Target and happy little Ava sat in her carseat as I placed it into the cart and we headed into Target. We pass through the first set of automatic doors, and here comes the second set. On this set, there is a bump where the carpet turns into tile flooring. I did not know this. *BUMP*. The cart shook, Ava looked up at me with horrified eyes, then started screaming. I pulled over and calmed her down but she was still looking horrified. We started walking and got to Aisle 1 and she started screaming again. When I say screaming I mean the kind that sounds like she just got a shot, not the sweet little baby cry. So I got her out of her carseat and held her. Her eyes were all red and she still looked kind of scared but then after looking around and seeing so many colors and boxes, etc she was quite content. Or so I thought.
2 aisles later I heard it. The pre-burp sound that is always followed by spit up. However, this particular time the pause between the pre-burp and the actual spit up was about one tenths of a second. I had no preparation time. Spit up spews everywhere. All down my shoulder, arm and back. All over Ava's cute outfit and chin. All over Targets clean floor. Wonderful.
As I am getting her burp cloth to clean her up, she starts tooting. Again, not the sweet little baby toots, the ones that make it seem like its me and I'm just blaming it on the baby. This girl is LOUD sometimes. Not only are they loud but they stink up a 3 foot radius at least. Yes, hi people walking by. I promise it was the baby.
We get cleaned up, half my shirt is soaked and I just kept on shopping. This is when I realized I really didn't care that I had regurgitated milk all over me. If someone walked by and judged me for that, well then they don't have kids and couldn't understand anyways. Who cared haha
So me and my spit up covered self and Ava (also covered in spit up) kept on going. Eventually I put her back in her seat to see how she did and I needed to use two hands for stuff. She did pretty good, I had to stop and soothe a couple times but it was fine. Granted, this was like the last 7 minutes of the shopping trip. We get up to the register and I put all my things on the belt. By this point Ava is pretty much asleep. YESS. I look up and the cashier is trying to piece back the label on my milk because it had gotten wet and tore into a million pieces. The other part is that it got wet because milk was leaking out all over the place from that gallon. Ugh. She tried to make me keep that one (um, no) but I told her I'd go get another one while she scanned the rest of my stuff.
Of course milk is always in the very back of the store- so off I went. Ava decides to toot some more which made the whole scene of me walking fast look even more suspicious haha once again, who cares.
OK got the milk, back up to the cash register. I start getting the bagged groceries. The sleeping babe wakes and screams. Paci back in mouth. A quick shhh. More bags. More screams. Shh's. Bags. Pay. Leave.
Whew.
Glad to be going home.
I get everything and Ava back in the car to head home. Glad to be done. That's when I saw a yellow jacket in my car. Perfect. That's all i needed was for one of us to get stung. I prayed the whole way home that we wouldn't and tried to drive as still as I could, as not to disturb said yellow jacket.
Get home. Ava's asleep. I got her inside- still asleep. Got the groceries inside. Went back to close the door - yeah it wasn't a yellow jacket. It was a lady bug. A perfectly harmless little lady bug. Haha oh boy.

Oh yeah, and I forgot 5 things from the store. Looks like we'll be adventuring out tomorrow.

2 comments:

Lauren Way said...

my goodness. haha. what a rough trip to the store. maybe the next trip will be better. :)

karen cavender said...

First of all, I need to apologize for laughing while I was reading this. It brings back so many memories! Welcome to motherhood! You get used to your new perfume being "baby spit-up" and your clothes being tie-dyed with baby stains. But you learned this "I don't really care what other people think" a lot sooner than I did! Good for you! You will do much better at these situations now that you've been through it...and survived! And I promise....it does get better. I'm glad you just didn't give up and walk out! :)