Thursday, August 5, 2010

Walking in Memphis

**I'm going to go ahead and post this but I'll put pictures up in a little bit, I just can't right now!***

A couple weekends ago we headed up to Memphis for the weekend! Chad and I drove separately because he had to stay for a job interview Monday and I had to work. I must admit it was weird. Usually I enjoy the drive and the company, this time I just sang at the top of my lungs. About an hour and a half away from Memphis it started raining Really hard. My windshield wipers were at their max and I looked like a grandma trying to sit as close as I could to the wheel to see outside. I picked up my phone to call Chad because I could feel my tires slipping a little and I was going to let him know that’s why I was slowing down...no answer...hung up and put the phone down....

that's when my car spun.
talk about scary.
It slipped and slid and then did a 360 and I just KNEW I was going to see a car coming right at me from across the median. Thankfully I landed IN the median and stopped there. I immediately picked up the phone and called Chad. Apparently I forgot to mention I was in the MEDIAN and that I didn't just hydroplane, I danced circles with my car in the rain. He found me and then got out and ran over to me. I was part in shock, part in tears, and part just wanting to get out of that car.
Chad came and talked to me and then said we needed to get my car out of the ditch (yes, ditch. the median went \_/ like that). Chad went behind my car and proceeded to PUSH while I stepped on the gas. I spun and spun but thanks to my wonderful husband and his rush of adrenaline strength he literally pushed me out of the grass. He was amazing.
SO we got out of the ditch and then continued on our way. The next hour I would calm myself down, and the randomly burst into tears. I just kept thinking of everything that could have happened. Especially since I have a little baby with me now. Whew. Thank-you-God.
We arrived and of course it wasn't raining anymore. There was grass and mud all over my car but believe it or not, there was nothing wrong with it besides my muffler being a little unattached.

The REST of the weekend was great. Like I've said before, I always love it so much when we can go up there. Chad's grandparents (Mema and Papa) got to come too so it was almost the whole family together. We played hand and foot a lot- a game Chad and I have grown to love. I want to play it every chance we get now!
We played croquet in the backyard which I am just horrible at. I started off strong and ended up so far behind I had to squint to see who was winning way off in the distance ha!
Saturday night we went to a Japanese steakhouse. Those are always so much fun. Our chef was decent, not the most talkative one I've ever had but hey, I couldn't do half that stuff he does let alone talk and entertain while I did it.
Sunday it was so good to see old people at church. --I was going to correct that sentence and say old friends, but I thought it was rather amusing how 'old people' was what came out so, I'm leaving it -- Several people didn't know I was pregnant so that was fun too to be able to break that news!
We are going back to Memphis sometime in September for the awesome people with birthdays then whoever that is :) and possibly a trip in August too!
Sunday I had to drive back and thank goodness there wasn't any rain.

---

Side story: Monday I was going with my Mom to target in 2 separate cars so we could each drive home. As I'm driving there my car kinda started shaking, but nothing bad. I just knew it was my muffler hanging down and maybe hitting the road. THEN I started seeing little pieces of tire fly by my window. Only then did I put it together. Great - my tire blew.
Now apparently when this happens you pull over immediately no matter where you are. I know that now. However, this has NEVER happened to me before and in my mind I was literally on the road that turns into Target so I kept going off the main highway and onto the very much less busy side road. That made perfect sense to me.
Mom and I then sat and waited on Dad and Kevin to come to our rescue. We sat and laughed and looked at the tire that didn't blow - it exploded. The entire middle section had come undone. Whew. Dad and Kevin arrive and proceeded to change the tire. I love being a girl :) AND pregnant :)
Finally finished my spare was nice and tight on there. Thanks Dad and K! Yall are heroes.

2 comments:

Lauren Way said...

Glad you were ok during the "wreck"! That's scary! Also glad Chad was there with you to help and save you :)

karen cavender said...

This is a day I'll never forget...at least anytime soon! Words cannot even come close to expressing how thankful I am that you weren't hurt!